At Deckchair Data, we partner with ambitious companies to provide market research, analytics and
data strategy that drive growth. We have significant expertise and experience in:
We serve a range of industries, with current active engagements in technology, healthcare,
financial services, insights and public service. Deckchair (formerly Parametric Marketing)
was founded to accelerate the partners’ long-term commitment to making businesses smarter and more
successful. Our leadership has substantial track records in the technology, analytics and research industries.
- Quantitative research
- Qualitative research
- Advanced analytics
- Data science and strategy
We have a point of view: For great insight you need more than just data. You need to understand all
of the available data – wherever it comes from – and you need to understand how that data comes together
to speak to your business.
In short, you need a data strategy.
Without a data strategy, teams feel overwhelmed and spend more than they should amassing
information to support their plans.
Insights actions are driven by data strategy – the definition of what you collect, how you apply
it and how you decide what’s next. When strategy is clear, action is focused and effective.
When it’s not – when it’s a collection of interesting, but disjointed points – teams struggle.
That’s why our client discussions so often start here.
How clear is your team’s data strategy? Let’s define what’s critical to support your goals, what you
already have and what you need to uncover. Then we’ll help chart the best course to fill in the blanks.
Deckchair's difference in a nutshell: Cross-Industry Expertise + Data Fluency
It’s not enough to know a lot about an industry or a lot about research or a lot about data.
Our clients are faced with the challenge of building their business – and today, that means bringing
it all together. At Deckchair, we marry industry experience with insights know-how (in fact, that’s
something we look for in all our team members!)
How do we start?
When clients seek insight, we start with a comprehensive view of elements that drive business
results – and we help them understand the interplay. How much does your brand matter to buyers?
What features command a premium price? What customer value levers matter most?
Once we’ve identified the essential insight required, we craft a research & analytics program that
complements the client’s data strategy.
Our client programs often address four key business areas:
- Market studies, including Segmentation, Category Attitude & Usage, Trends Assessment & Tracking
- Brand studies, including Awareness & Tracking, Ad Effectiveness, Brand/Price Tradeoffs, Value
- Product & Service studies, including Concept Testing, Product Testing, Pricing
- Customer studies, including Cx, Satisfaction/NPS, Journeys and Lifetime Value
To address these topics, we have a big toolbox – and we’re always adding to it. Our
research & analytics practices make use of both time-tested and cutting-edge techniques.
As seasoned marketers and managers, we know that tools need to serve the business problem. We have deep
expertise in the application of methods specifically suited to elicit meaningful business insights. We
don't let the tools or techniques enchant us, but instead keep a strong focus on our clients' business needs and
the decisions to be made.
- Data Strategy: Data Audits, Team Structure & Skills Assessments, Development Workshops
- Qualitative Research: Focus Groups, In-Depth Interviews, Online Communities
- Quantitative Research: Complex Survey Research, Choice-based/Conjoint, Advanced Trade-Off
- Analytics: Data Wrangling, Unstructured Data (social, text and images), Predictive Machine Learning and AI
Our Core Team
Scott, Laura, Chris and Eff.
Deckchair is built around a world-class core team. We also work with a select stable of third-party
partners as needed, guaranteeing that you will always be working with the best possible experts.
Chris Robson, Partner
Chris is an acknowledged expert in research methodology and data science, and a frequent speaker on
advanced methods at industry conferences. He strongly believes in the importance of solid methodology
combined with a laser focus on the business problem.
Prior to founding Deckchair he was Chief Innovation Officer and Head of Research Science for
ORC International (now Engine Insights). Before that he was Co-Founder of Parametric Marketing, a
boutique analytics and methodology consultancy.
In his career he has held various senior technical and
marketing positions at small and huge companies, ranging from being VP Engineering at an analytics
start-up to managing a global team of over a hundred software developers at Hewlett-Packard. He started
his career as a Mathematician building statistical models of radar systems.
Chris confesses to being a total nerd and is never happier than when he is elbows deep in data.
Scott Laing, Partner
With deep experience spanning startups to the Fortune 500, Scott Laing most recently served as SVP and
major account manager in the Financial Services practice at storied research pioneer ORC International.
Scott has substantial experience in all areas of Marketing. Upon joining ORC in 2013, Scott assumed
leadership responsibility for ORC’s Marketing Research practice, providing thought leadership to both
internal and external clients.
Prior to his stint at ORC, Scott co-founded analytics boutique Parametric
Marketing with Deckchair partner Chris Robson in 2003.
Earlier in his career, he served as Director of
Market Development at WebCriteria (acquired by Coremetrics, now IBM), responsible for defining and
implementing partnership and lead generation strategies. In this role, he developed and led over 100
executive workshops to help clients define Marketing program objectives and measurement strategy. As well,
Scott spent eight years with Hewlett-Packard in a variety of analytical marketing and product management
roles at HP’s Corvallis, OR, Vancouver, WA and Böblingen, Germany sites.
Scott earned a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and a MBA from Carnegie Mellon University’s
Tepper School. He currently serves as President of the Northwest Chapter of the Insights Association.
Laura Kleckner, Human Behavior Insights Specialist
After 20 years of cross industry experience, Laura continues to be surprised and energized by the
learnings generated when studying human behavior. Laura enjoys the opportunity to leverage a variety
of inputs to uncover insights, set metrics and assess performance. Her respect for the powerful insights
generated from qualitative methods led to her certification as a RIVA Certified Qualitative Moderator.
Laura believes success is grounded in an unwavering commitment to understanding the issue,
continued active listening/ observing and unbiased translation of research outcomes into guidance to
drive decision making. Laura’s natural curiosity for human behavior was evident from a young age when
she continually posed questions to family and friends. Despite the exhaustion she likely caused, her
family encouraged her inquisitive nature leading to her career in business intelligence/ marketing
Laura’s areas of specialty include innovation, customer journey, concept/message development
and advertising assessment. Her industry experience includes CPG, pharmaceutical, healthcare,
technology and animal health. Most recently, Laura has served as Vice-President, Client Solutions
Laura holds an MA in sociology from the University of Cincinnati with a concentration in
public opinion and survey research.
Eff Robson, Operations Manager
Eff is Deckchair's primary client administrative contact and is responsible for all of the day-to-day
management of programs. She has extensive experience as Operations and Office Manager, having run her
own business providing small companies with office services for 7 years, and as Office Manager for an
electrical contractor for 12 years.
She has deep experience in the day-to-day running of companies in varied industries from
construction, to retail, to market research.
Eff has a BSc Hons. in Social Sciences with Sociology, specializing in Gender Studies.
Updated as of March 12th, 2020
Deckchair Data LLC. (‘Deckchair’) is committed to protecting the privacy of our clients and research participants.
We perform research, analytics and related consulting services for various organizations – our clients. We treat all information we receive from clients as confidential and do not use the information for any purpose other than to fulfill our obligations to them. We keep client information secure at all times to prevent the misuse and unauthorized disclosure of it by our employees or any third parties.
Research Participant Information
In order to provide our services to clients, we may employ the use of client contact lists which may contain personal information such as names, email addresses, phone numbers, and mailing addresses.
All responses to our research are completely confidential. We collect data in our studies for research purposes only, and our use of that information is limited to that purpose. Research participant answers will not be used by any entity as an aid for sales.
Research participation is voluntary, and respondents always have the opportunity to decline involvement or to “opt out” of the research after agreeing to participate.
We may also receive market research data collected by or for our clients for analysis. We apply the same privacy and confidentiality standards to this information.
Your Personal Information
Under a number of privacy laws, “personal information” includes information like real names, addresses, and social security numbers. Under recent laws like the GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), “personal information” may also include unique identifiers, IP addresses, biometric information, internet or other network activity (such as browsing history, search history, etc.), geolocation data, audio/visual data, and even inferences which may be drawn from any of the above to create a profile about a consumer.
Personal Information We Sell and Disclose
CCPA defines the term “sell” broadly. Its meaning includes “renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, [and] transferring…for monetary or other valuable consideration.”
Under this definition, and the CCPA’s broad definition of “personal information,” we may “sell personal information” about you to our clients or other collaboration partners, such as your contact information or certain combinations of anonymized or pseudonymized demographic and other information.
We do not rent, sell or give personal information to any third party for the purpose of directly marketing any products or services. In some cases, we may need to share personal information with third parties that provide research services in support of the research project. Any third party that receives personal information is obligated to follow all of the same privacy protection regulations as followed by Deckchair.
At their request, we give research participants access to the personal information we have collected about them. We correct any information that is inaccurate or incomplete, change their consent status, or have their personal information deleted.
Notice to California Residents
If you are a California resident, you also have certain special rights. You can read more about these rights at https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa . If you wish to exercise any of these rights with us please contact us at +1 (346) 298-6073 or email us at email@example.com. We may ask you to provide additional information in order to verify who is making the request.
Other Sharing of Information
We do not knowingly collect personal information under any circumstances from anyone under the age of thirteen (13), and if we become aware that we have inadvertently collected personal information from anyone under this age threshold, we will promptly delete such information.
If you wish to be removed from Deckchair email or phone contact lists, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We maintain all necessary physical, electronic and procedural security measures to help safeguard client data and personal information. Third parties that provide us with support or services may also receive client data or personal information, and we require them to maintain security measures similar to ours with respect to such information. Nevertheless, the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. If any information under our control is compromised, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised, and also take other steps as necessary in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Deckchair will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data is accurate, complete, current and relevant. While we accept responsibility for the management and confidentiality of the personal information collected, please note that we do not always have control over the accuracy of the information provided directly to us, and accept no responsibility for information’s accuracy in such cases.
Deckchair Data LLC,
PO Box 651
Camas WA 98607
All enquiries regarding privacy may be sent to email@example.com.
Official promotion Rules
Sponsored by Deckchair Data LLC
1. NO PURCHASE, ONLINE ENTRY, OR ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
2. ENTRY. Drawing and survey begin on March 31, 2020 and end at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time on April 24th, 2020. To enter, complete the survey available online at http://selfserve.decipherinc.com/survey/selfserve/b5a/200300?list=1 Electronic entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on April 24, 2020. To receive Official Promotion Rules and enter the drawing by mail without taking the survey, send a 3”x5” card with your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address to: PO Box 651, Camas, WA 98607. Mail-in entries must be postmarked between March 31, 2020 and April 24, 2020 and received by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on April 24, 2020. Limit one (1) entry per person or e-mail address. If multiple entries are received from any person or e-mail address, all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
Sponsor is not responsible for any type of technical difficulty (including, but not limited to: network server issues, connection problems, failed phone, computer, or telephone transmission, any type of technical failure), postal difficulty (including, but not limited to: late, lost, damaged, or postage-due mail), or any other type of error whether human, mechanical, or electronic. Any type of defective entry will be automatically disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel Sweepstakes at any time if a computer virus, bug, or other problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes.
3. ELIGIBILITY. Contest is open to United States residents and valid in all states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico except where prohibited or restricted by law. This Sweepstakes, and all promotions relating thereto, are subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Entrants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and must not be employed, or immediately related to someone who is, by the sweepstake sponsor or administrator. By participating, entrant agrees to abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects.
4. DRAWING AND PRIZES. On or around May 4, 2020 five (5) names will be selected at random from all eligible entries. One winner will receive $1,000; four winners will each receive $250. Entrants selected must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Winners need not be present to win. Winners will be notified by mail, phone or email within ten (10) business days following the drawing. Odds of winning depend upon number of eligible entries received. No prize or cash substitutes allowed. Winners may not transfer a prize. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value should an event occur that renders a prize unavailable. Taxes on the prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
5. DELIVERY OF PRIZES. The winner will be contacted by email and asked to verify their mailing address. The winner will then have one (1) week to respond to the email with the appropriate information. If the selected winner fails to reply with sufficient mailing information within the allotted one (1) week, it will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. This process shall continue until either all prizes are awarded or no valid entries remain.
6. RELEASE. By receipt of any Sweepstakes prize, winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Promoters, their respective related companies, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. Each winner agrees, as a precondition for the receipt of any prize, to execute all releases and other documentation reasonably requested by Sponsor.
7. DISPUTES. Entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or any prizes awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
8. VERIFICATION. A list of winners may be obtained after May 4, 2020, by sending an e-mail referencing #Freightsurvey010 to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked by May 4, 2020, to PO Box 651, Camas, WA 98607
9. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. For additional information regarding this Promotion, contact PO Box 651, Camas, WA 98607 or (346) 298 6073.
Your message has been sent.
We'd love to hear from you!
Please fill in the following and one of our team members will get right back to you.